Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Music and Middle Earth


Austin City Limits was our first big music festival and we deemed it a success. Yes, it took us about two hours to get a cab back from Zilker Park to our hotel. Yes, it rained all day on one of the days. Yes, we walked around barefoot, ankle-deep in mud with 65,000 other strangers, (rain all day on Saturday=sopping wet tennis shoes=must wear flip-flops to trudge through "Middle Earth"* on Sunday="yikes, we're stuck in mud"="screw it, we're going barefoot!"). And yes, we loved it.

I know I've sung the praises of the Avett Brothers before and I'm going to do it again. They put on an amazing show. I'm pretty sure Josh wishes he hadn't introduced me to them since I now insist on singing their songs (even the ones I don't know very well) at the top of my lungs.

They're playing in Iowa City in a couple of weeks, any takers?

You know who else puts on an exciting show? John Legend. Maybe my opinion is a little biased considering he started out his show a mere five feet away from our group and shook Dawn's hand, but whatever.

Thisclose and wooing ensued.

I knew my ears were in for good music when going to ACL but I had no idea that for the low, low price of my three-day ticket I would also get to feast my eyes on a super sweet laser show. In addition to songs you can shake it to, Ghostland Observatory's show featured lasers and plenty o' glowsticks.

Hook 'em horns-that's the University of Texas' marching band in the back.

*this was Josh's favorite joke

No comments: