Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Rules for a reason

What is up with all the drivers out there who think they're doing everyone a favor by "being nice" and ignoring basic traffic laws? If you're turning left, you've earned yourself the right to yield to oncoming traffic before making your turn. For some reason the drivers between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. on 63rd street in Des Moines aren't familiar with this rule of thumb because while I wait patiently to make my left turn, they insist on coming to a complete halt and trying to wave me through despite the fact that there are cars in the lane next to them that have no intention of stopping and letting me go. And I don't begrudge these other drivers who are zipping past because those are the rules, folks. I want to turn left therefore, I sit and bop along to the radio until traffic safely subsides. I have no problem with that. What I take issue with is getting waved at like a maniac and then having someone toss me an angry look because I'm willing to pass on their generous offer of a 70% chance of getting t-boned halfway through my turn. Good grief.

Figure it out.

No comments: