Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Shhh

 From here

One time at Costco when Dexter was just a wee babe I parked one spot away from the shopping cart corral so that I could put him in the car and then walk the mere 10 feet away to deposit my shopping cart in the corral like a good courteous customer does. As I was lifting Dexter's carseat from the cart into the car, I heard a voice behind me ask if I wanted her to take my cart "up" for me. I responded politely no that it was okay, I can get it. I was parked one spot away from the corral. In fact the spot that was right next to the corral was empty but I avoid parking right next to it since I don't think Joshie likes it when I park right next to it because I am, ahem, a little less than gentle when opening car doors. Anyway...short distance, people.  Point being, I got this.

I thought that was the end of the conversation so I turned my attention to hoisting that boulder of a carseat into the base. But then I heard, "Well, you can't just leave the baby in the car, you know." OMG. That voice will stick with me forever. I looked at her and couldn't form a response. I was insulted. The way she said it made me feel like I was leaving Dexter in the car with the windows up while I went shoe shopping. She took my cart and marched it up all the way to the front of the store. Obviously she is from some foreign land that doesn't have cart corrals but requires that you dispense unwanted parenting advice to unsuspecting mothers.

Parenting is a hard gig and the last thing we need are perfect strangers telling us what to do. We're already confused without being accosted by you, nosy nellies. That's what my family's for. Thanks.

Okay, all of that was to make you read this article. I was laughing out loud. Perfect.

No comments: