Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Tidbits about our new old house



I love our new old house. We have a large list of projects to get through but I'm kind of in love with that list. I am all about flipping the entire house into something new and making it ours. I'm obsessed with HGTV and events like Junk Jubilee and family trips to Home Depot.  Paint swatches are my jam and pinning on Saturday morning with a cup of coffee is my idea of a great time. I'm in. I'm all in.

You should know a few things about our new old house. Quirky things. Examples:

The previous owner was a horticulturist, something is always in bloom in our yard. It's kind of a jungle though.

The washing machine makes a train whistle noise twice during its run. I kid you not, it is exactly like a train whistle. We went for a family walk once and could hear it from half a block down.

The ceiling fans in this house operate under a non-standard number of blades design. Our bedroom fan has four, Dexter's has three and Evy's has two.

The window treatments throughout the house are a combination of lace curtains and vinyl roller shades...from 20 years ago.

The walls in Evy's room are covered in what one could only describe as ripped up papier-mached brown paper bags.

We have our work cut out for us but then there's the butler staircase, the finished attic, and the reading nook in Dexter's closet. Those are pretty good things. And then there's that lovely front porch with a swing. The porch that lends itself so well to morning coffee, afternoon snacks and blowing bubbles for this family. And that might be the best tidbit of all.

No comments: