Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

The Writing's on the Wall

We went to Blues on Grand with Josh's parents and their friends this weekend. I went to the bathroom and as soon as I walked in I had a flashback. It was like I was back on The Hill in one of our favorite watering holes; the bar that we so poignantly named our dog after--SUDS.

Besides not having any doors for the two stalls in its bathroom, Suds (the bar, not the dog) also had a never-ending amount of graffiti on the girl's bathroom walls. In this college bathroom bar I found messages from my peers that warned about the treachery of men, commented about girls who didn't adhere to whatever the female equivalent of the "bros before hos" code is, and of course there was a risque limerick or twelve.

This past weekend, four years later, I read the writing on the wall on the Blues on Grand women's bathroom and the general gist of the messages (and most of the limericks) were the same. I walked out thinking the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Take away the stall doors, hand me a vodka cranberry and I would've sworn I was back in college.

No comments: