Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A practice cake



This is a practice cake. If there was one thing that I wanted to happen for Dexter's birthday, it would be a made from scratch yellow cake. Since I'm afraid of my kitchen, this one simple act of domesticity is a big deal for me. So big that I felt it necessary to practice before the big show which is over a month away. It took forever because I move at the pace of a three-legged turtle when I'm in front of ovens and wielding measuring cups. I referred to the recipe a bajillion times to make sure that all directions were strictly followed. I let out an exasperated sigh when the mixture didn't appear to be pale and fluffy as indicated on the recipe. And when Josh came in to help with the frosting, and I accidentally hit his arm with a steaming bowl of chocolate, I yelled at him and said "I don't know why you're in here anyway!" Good wife, Lora. So this is my practice cake. When the real deal is dished up for you, please remember the tale that I've just spun for you, smile sweetly and between bites tell me it's amazing. Thanks.

Recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Her's looks way more amazing than mine.


No comments: