Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Modern day lullabies

Josh really is the music guru in our house. He's the guy that is willing to try on new music by lesser known bands. Me? I just tag along for the ride. However, I must say that thing where music gurus like him act all indignant when other people discover "their" band has definitely rubbed off on me. Which I realize is very silly considering I'm one of those other people but nonetheless, hrmph, nose in air. So when Dexter was born the tunes that I sang and hummed and bounced (oh, was there bouncing) to make that up all night and sleep all day baby turn the corner was mostly music passed down from Joshie to me years ago. Some of it was also passed along from my friend Jill too, mostly the girly stuff.

To this day, Ingrid Michaelson and Avett Brothers are in heavy rotation as part of my and Dexter's bedtime routine. And somehow the one and only song that I know by Joshua Radin has become a favorite as well. Of course I get the words to that song all sort of jumbled and sing the same verse over and over but he gets the point. 

My most favorite modern day lullabies in our house:

The Way I am by Ingrid Michaelson (I used to giggle when I would sing the part about rogaine and losing all your hair because well, have you seen the kid?)



If it's the Beaches by The Avett Brothers (I can specifically remember bouncing around his room during that second or third or maybe eighth week, it all just blends together, and cradling him while holding back tears because yes, Dexter if it's the beaches that you want, then you WILL have them! What a sentimental trainwreck! 





No comments: