Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Raise my glass 6.8.10

I'd like to raise my glass to...

Asians. Sound weird, maybe a little creepy? Yes, yes it does. I think this stems from being one of a handful of Asian kids, (and even a fewer amount of Filipino kids), throughout elementary and high school and then for choosing a small college in Northern Iowa that again, had a relatively small minority population. So when I see Jaime from Real World San Diego up on the silver screen, Qwest Crew "killin' it" on stage or Tammy and Victor racing to be Team #1, I can't help but grin from ear to ear. Where am I going with this?

Well, I watched Paper Heart last week. I thought it looked kind of cute when it came out last year and then read about it in Rolling Stone and found out that the co-creator/star of the part-documentary, part fiction film, Charlyne Yi is part Filipino. At that point I was sold. I was buying whatever Yi was selling. The movie turned out to be cute, blending Yi's interviews with real people about their thoughts on love, with a fictional storyline of a budding romance between her and actor Michael Cera. Of course, at the end I was confused as to whether they had actually dated in reality and had to google it-they didn't? I think. Maybe. Whatever makes no difference to me. I'm buying whatever that part Filipino actress is selling.

Pic from here

No comments: