Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Brussel sprouts and their sweet redemption

I didn't think that I liked vegetables for a loooong time. For the first 18 years of my life I considered myself a strict carnivore. Then Joshie said, "Stop being a baby and try mushrooms/peppers/broccoli/asparagus." Actually it was more like, "eat this or starve, weirdo." And that is how I tiptoed into one of the major food groups.

Most recently, I tried brussel sprouts. They are a serious veggie in my opinion. Broccoli is child's play compared to brussel sprouts. They are the veggie that you are conditioned not to like when you're a kid. You never heard any kid say, "we're having brussel sprouts tonight, yahoozie!" And then one day not too long ago, there they were in our kitchen, tossed with walnuts and bacon and smelling kind of good. And then there they were on my plate getting pushed around by my fork while I braced myself for a "green" taste. And then I speared one and took a bite and it was crunchy and not green tasting at all. It was good, like "Perhaps you are not a vegetable at all, dear brussel sprout, and what a shame you were misclassified!" good.

And now I can say, "we're having Brussel sprouts tonight, yahoozie!"

And now you can too, here's the recipe.

Brussel sprouts with bacon and walnuts
as prepared by Joshie and adapted from Muscle & Fitness magazine

1 lb. Brussel sprouts
4 strips of bacon
1/4 cup of walnuts
Salt and pepper

Fry bacon and walnut pieces together in ovenproof skillet until browned. Remove from heat and set aside in bowl. Remove stems from brussel sprouts and cut in half. Place brussel sprouts in same ovenproof skillet and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Add bacon and walnuts to sprouts and bake for additional 10 to 15 minutes.


No comments: